Medianoche means midnight in Spanish. That’s right – these are drunk sandwiches. But in the event that you’re just looking for a really tasty lunch, I highly recommend this sandwich. Play with the mustard mix a bit and toss it in a panini press then serve it up with sweet potato tots and your inner fatty will kiss you.
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices Hawaiian sweet bread
- 6 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 sandwich-cut dill pickles, cut in half crosswise
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Cooking spray
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Spread about 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard mixture evenly over each bread slice. Divide cheese, pickles, and tomatoes evenly over each of 4 bread slices; top with remaining bread slices.
- Heat a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 sandwich to pan. Place a cast-iron or heavy skillet on top of sandwich; gently press to flatten. Cook 45 seconds on each side or until cheese melts and bread is toasted (leave cast-iron skillet on sandwich while it cooks). Repeat procedure with remaining sandwiches. Cut sandwiches in half diagonally.