- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1½ unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry or rapid-rise yeast
- 6 ounces part-skim mozzarella, cut into 20 cubes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (increase amount if desired)
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup marinara sauce (optional)
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit 3 minutes. In a mixer with dough hook attachment, combine yeast and flour mixture. Drizzle in olive oil and mix until dough is climbing the arm of the dough hook. Cover and let rise approximately one hour. Punch dough down and rotate in bowl. Cover again and let rise another 45 minutes.
- Place dough on a lightly floured flat surface or piece of wax paper. Divide the dough into three equal sized chunks then cut each of the chunks into about seven pieces each.
- Flatten the pieces a bit and tuck a cube of mozzarella into each, topped with a pinch of minced garlic and wrap the dough around the cheese. Place on a nonstick jellyroll pan or cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and cheese.
- Spray the tops of the balls with canola or olive oil cooking spray. Let dough balls rest in a warm part of your kitchen for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until golden, about 12 minutes. Place the garlic cheese balls in a serving bowl.
- In small nonstick saucepan, over medium heat, saute garlic in 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil for about 2 minutes. Brush over cheese balls in serving bowl and toss. Serve with pizza or marinara sauce if desired.