To save time, you can skip the first two steps and just use sun dried tomatoes packed in oil. Just make sure to drain well and pat dry before proceeding.
- Fine sea salt
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 cup warm water (105º to 115º)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Generous pinch sugar
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus more for kneading
- 2/3 cup whole milk, scalded and cooled
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter (5 1/2 tablespoons)
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- Heat oven to 250º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Drop tomatoes into water and boil 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer tomatoes to a colander to drain. Quarter tomatoes lengthwise, then seed.
- Place tomatoes on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt. Bake until tomatoes are partially dried but still moist, about 2 hours. Meanwhile, prepare dough.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1/3 cup warm water, yeast and sugar; let stand until foamy, about 15 minutes. (If mixture doesn’t foam, start over with new yeast.)
- Add flour, milk, butter and 1 tablespoon salt to yeast mixture; mix together to form soft dough. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead, dusting surface and hands with just enough flour to keep dough from sticking, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Brush a large bowl with oil, then turn dough in bowl to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise, in a draft-free place at warm room temperature, until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.
- When tomatoes are ready, transfer baking sheet to a wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, line a second baking sheet with parchment paper. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times to remove air. Cut dough into 6 equal pieces, then roll out each piece into a rectangular sheet, about 8 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches.
- Brush dough with oil, leaving a 1/4-inch border, then divide tomatoes among dough.
- Roll dough, from short ends in toward center, leaving a slight gap at center, and pinch ends to seal. Arrange on prepared baking sheet and let rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature, 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375º with rack in middle.
- Brush tops of rolls with oil and bake, rotating pan once halfway through, until golden brown, about 40 minutes.